1st STEP: Prior to Initiating the Gluten Free/Casein Free Diet
- Focus on allowable foods that your child can eat.
- Prepare whole foods that are naturally gluten and casein free.
- Meats, poultry, fish, shellfish, game
- Dried beans & peas
- Nuts & seeds
- 100% juices
- Purchase processed Gluten Free Casein Free foods.
- Request from food companies mail order catalogs for gluten and milk free foods
- Shop in the gluten free section of a grocery store or health food store
- Prepare Home Cooked Gluten Free Casein Free foods.
- Purchase a bread machine
- Use gluten and milk free cookbooks
- Join a parent support group.
- Network with other parents using the diet
- Expose Gluten Free Casein Free foods to child gradually in a non-threatening manner.
*NOTE: If your child has a feeding problem (limited variety of foods, refuses foods he/she used to eat, rejects new foods, refuses entire categories of texture, has tantrums when offered an unfamiliar food, takes more than 25 steps to add new foods to diet), child should be referred for a multi-disciplinary feeding assessment to address child’s feeding problem prior to moving on to Step 2.
2nd STEP: Eliminate Foods that are “Obvious” Sources of Gluten and Casein
- Make a list of foods that your child is currently consuming that are obvious sources of gluten and casein
- Replace each obvious gluten and casein food with a gluten casein free food
3rd STEP: Eliminate Foods with “Ingredients” that are Sources of Gluten and Casein
- Read food labels
- Look for ingredients in processed foods that are sources of gluten and casein
- Make a list of processed foods that your child is currently consuming that need to be avoided
- Replace each of these processed foods with an acceptable gluten free casein free alternative
4th STEP: Look for Unacceptable “Food Additives”
- Read food labels more closely to identify food additives that may contain gluten or casein.
- If you are unsure if a food additive contains gluten or casein contact the manufacturer.
5th STEP: 3-month Gluten Free Casein Free Diet
- Attempt to eliminate 100% gluten and casein from child’s diet for 3 months.
- After the designated time period assess if the GFCF Diet was helpful or not.